Translate

Monday, May 14, 2012

Daily Assignment #110: Treats

Oops!  I got so caught up in our Mother's Day celebration I totally forgot to do my blog, sorry about that.  I hope you all had a wonderful day as well.

On another note, I would like to share my thoughts on candy as a reward.  I am guilty of being a candy rewarder.  I would give 2 Swedish Fish or 1 Life Saver or 1 Hershey Kiss for various reasons, i.e. successful moments, when it would feel like the class was spiraling downward and just because.  Simple treats are a quick reward, inexpensive, makes kids happy and can completely change the atmosphere in the classroom.   As we become more health conscious, candy may not have a place in your classroom.  Many teachers think it isn't a good idea to reward with candy and are concerned about parental disapproval.  It might be a good idea to ask parents in a questionnaire at the beginning of the year whether they have an issue with an occasional piece of candy.  Of course, if there is a medical issue, you should be aware of that early on.

Please share this blog with colleagues and friends.
If you haven't already, check-out my book on effective strategies:
http://www.bookemon.com/book-profile/daily-assignment/126409

Best Effort!
Linda103


No comments:

Post a Comment